[ogsa-wg] Scoping for Job Creation and Management

Ian Foster foster at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jan 18 19:32:24 CST 2005

David:

This seems reasonable to me at first glance.

The interesting thing is that there is not that much there, if one assumes
WSRF/WSN.

Ian.

At 11:09 AM 1/18/2005 +0000, David Snelling wrote:
>Folks,
>
>Thanks to Ian for the snippet of GRAM. I'll use it as a basis for my
>action item to start the scoping exercise for this proposed BoF.
>
>1) I would exclude the delegation stuff. This seems to layer well with
>GRAM (e.g. it is optional) and therefore should be a separate
>specification. The combined GRAM and delegation usage pattern would be the
>subject of a Profile.
>
>2) I believe that the ManagedJobFactory::createManagedJob concept is in
>scope. I think it should take an open content job description so that the
>current Globus XML description, JSDL, a "run BLAST" thing , and even run
>Unicore AJO would all work. The Profile might later mandate that for
>interoperability only JSDL applies.
>
>3) Now that we have a manageable-job, we need operations on it. From Ian's
>list, I only have a problem with the implied linkage between release and
>something the the job description (this is an inhibitor to composition,
>but that discussion it for the new WG). Some might want other control
>functions: hold, abort (stops execution but doesn't destroy the resource).
>This specification should be interoperable from the outset, e.g. no
>extensibility elements.
>
>4) I agree that the data transfer aspects are out of scope, as is
>provisioning. A JSDL document (as well as the GRAM equivalent) tells the
>job container where to get the input files, where to put the output files,
>and what the source for the executable is. How this happens is not the
>problem of this interface.
>
>5) The specification should be a WSDL interface and associated semantic
>description. This doesn't mean that only WSDL based presentations are
>allowed at the BoF or at the WG, just that the eventual output would be a
>WSDL spec.
>
>6) The new specification must align and compose with the OGSA Base
>Profile. There some interesting questions here. The GRAM and Unicore
>interfaces certainly assume the WSRF infrastructure, but it is clearly
>possible to build job management web services without WSRF. The WG should
>discuss the extent to which composition (as opposed to extension) it
>possible without duplication of function. [Just to clarify: We should not
>include a 'cancel' operation that does the same function as the Resource
>Lifetime 'destroy' operation, but if the interface makes sense without
>either, then the dependancy on lifetime could be relaxed.] It should come
>as no surprise that I would like to see the whole Basic Profile exploited
>as much as possible, but that's a discussion for later.
>
>7) Job naming, job migration, job scheduling, scheduling candidates, job
>placement, job restart/recovery, are all out of scope.
>
>Thoughts?
>
>Do we have a volunteer to start drafting a BoF Call and Draft Charter?
>
>>  (Need to verify operation names.)DelegationFactory::createDelegation
> [...]

Ian Foster                    www.mcs.anl.gov/~foster
Math & Computer Science Div.  Dept of Computer Science
Argonne National Laboratory   The University of Chicago
Argonne, IL 60439, U.S.A.     Chicago, IL 60637, U.S.A.
Tel: 630 252 4619             Fax: 630 252 1997
         Globus Alliance, www.globus.org