[ogsa-wg] Scoping for Job Creation and Management

David Snelling David.Snelling at UK.Fujitsu.com
Tue Jan 18 05:09:17 CST 2005

Folks,

Thanks to Ian for the snippet of GRAM. I'll use it as a basis for my
action item to start the scoping exercise for this proposed BoF.

1) I would exclude the delegation stuff. This seems to layer well with
GRAM (e.g. it is optional) and therefore should be a separate
specification. The combined GRAM and delegation usage pattern would be
the subject of a Profile.

2) I believe that the ManagedJobFactory::createManagedJob concept is in
scope. I think it should take an open content job description so that
the current Globus XML description, JSDL, a "run BLAST" thing , and
even run Unicore AJO would all work. The Profile might later mandate
that for interoperability only JSDL applies.

3) Now that we have a manageable-job, we need operations on it. From
Ian's list, I only have a problem with the implied linkage between
release and something the the job description (this is an inhibitor to
composition, but that discussion it for the new WG). Some might want
other control functions: hold, abort (stops execution but doesn't
destroy the resource). This specification should be interoperable from
the outset, e.g. no extensibility elements.

4) I agree that the data transfer aspects are out of scope, as is
provisioning. A JSDL document (as well as the GRAM equivalent) tells
the job container where to get the input files, where to put the output
files, and what the source for the executable is. How this happens is
not the problem of this interface.

5) The specification should be a WSDL interface and associated semantic
description. This doesn't mean that only WSDL based presentations are
allowed at the BoF or at the WG, just that the eventual output would be
a WSDL spec.

6) The new specification must align and compose with the OGSA Base
Profile. There some interesting questions here. The GRAM and Unicore
interfaces certainly assume the WSRF infrastructure, but it is clearly
possible to build job management web services without WSRF. The WG
should discuss the extent to which composition (as opposed to
extension) it possible without duplication of function. [Just to
clarify: We should not include a 'cancel' operation that does the same
function as the Resource Lifetime 'destroy' operation, but if the
interface makes sense without either, then the dependancy on lifetime
could be relaxed.] It should come as no surprise that I would like to
see the whole Basic Profile exploited as much as possible, but that's a
discussion for later.

7) Job naming, job migration, job scheduling, scheduling candidates,
job placement, job restart/recovery, are all out of scope.

Thoughts?

Do we have a volunteer to start drafting a BoF Call and Draft Charter?

--

Take care:

     Dr. David Snelling < David . Snelling . UK . Fujitsu . com >
     Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe
     Hayes Park Central
     Hayes End Road
     Hayes, Middlesex  UB4 8FE