[ogsa-wg] BES query

Andrew Grimshaw grimshaw at cs.virginia.edu
Tue Aug 30 16:29:18 CDT 2005

All,

We did not discuss this issue at all in Sunnyvale. We discussed whether
AbstractNames should be mandatory in use of the resolution protocol of
WS-Naming -specifically whether the resolution function should take a
vanilla EPR or require a WS-Name (EPR with AbstractName) as a parameter. By
parameter I mean either as an explicit parameter or as an implicit parameter
in the header. The decision was that an AbstractName was NOT required in the
resolution function. Thus the function is typed as taking (and returning) an
EPR rather than a WS-Name. However, it is the inclusion of the AbstractName
in the EPR that makes it a WS-Name.

The issue I originally raised was not about whether resolution took EPR's or
WS-Names - rather should OGSA mandate/encourage the use of WS-Names. I
distinguish between those two because mandate is too strong; for example in
RNS a path may refer to either a WS-Name or an EPR - an EPR that is just to
some "plain-old" web-service. I believe that we should certainly encourage
WS-Names - they give clients the ability to UNIQUELY identify an endpoint
and compare EPR's to determine if they refer to the "same" endpoint - a
capability otherwise not part of WS-Addressing.

In the case of BES I think the argument is very strong. Many different
actors (players) may need to refer to a BES activity over time - loggers,
"job managers", accounting services, exception managers, workflow engines,
and so on. The ability to uniquely identify an activity is crucial.

Andrew

  _____