[ogsa-wg] Profile documents

Norman Paton norm at cs.man.ac.uk
Tue Dec 21 18:00:45 CST 2004

As a DAIS co-chair, it seems reasonable for me to pitch in a view here -
a personal one rather than a group one for now, as there are no
scheduled calls for the group until the new year.

It seems reasonable:

1. That profiles should only have dependencies on formally accepted
standards (any dependencies on less mature or stable specifications
means building the house on sand).
2. That once a specification has been accepted as a standard by the GGF,
the GGF should seek facilitate the wide adoption of that standard.

The DAIS specs are not formally adopted standards (but are currently
rather stalled waiting for stability in the WSRF space), and thus should
not be candidates for inclusion in a profile in the short term. However,
a feature of the DAIS specs is that they have deliberately constrained
ambition.  That is, they seek to provide specific pieces in a jigsaw
that as a whole provides comprehensive data access, delivery and
management capabilities in a service-oriented environment.  As such,
although the DAIS specs seek to provide useful functionality on their
own, they will be even more useful (!) when used in conjunction with
other specifications. As such, the development of profiles that
demonstrate how DAIS specs should be used in conjunction with other
specifications as part of a collection of data-oriented services seems
likely to be important to uptake. I would expect a similar case to apply
to other specifications (i.e. whole > sum of parts).  As such, profiles
should be able to be seen as a way of encouraging wider adoption of GGF
standards.

Regards, Norman

p.s. A more minor comment on two words in Ian's email - one shouldn't
see "database vendors" as the only candidate commercial developers of
DAIS specifications.  Clearly such vendors have been major players in
the development of the DAIS specifications, but one could certainly see
other forms of commercial organisation (e.g. middleware vendors) as
viable candidates.