[ogsa-wg] Profile documents

Dave Berry daveb at nesc.ac.uk
Tue Dec 21 08:17:42 CST 2004

On reading Ian's message, I wonder whether I was clear.  I want the
criteria for *submitting* a recommendation profile proposal to admit a
spec that has a single implementation.  This document will have to go
through the normal process before it can become an actual
recommendation.  This is a similar (although stricter) process to any
other recommendation document in the GGF and similar standards bodies.
So this process should be well-understood in the community.  The process
will be stricter than the existing GGF process fir recommendation
documents, at the existing process doesn't require any implementation to
exist before submitting a recommendation, and has fewer criteria for
acceptance as a recommendation.

WS-I is primarily a reactive body.  GGF needs to show leadership: we
should steer the development of Grid technology.  On occasion we will
face the "chicken and egg" problem, in which people are reluctant to
adopt a specification because it isn't part of a profile, but we can't
make it part of a profile because it isn;t widely adopted.  The process
by which a submission becomes a full recommendation seems to me an
excellent way of resolving this issue.

Any profile document will exist in 'draft' form before it is submitted
as a 'recommendation', just as any other specification.  As I understand
the aim of the profile template document, it is precisely to specify
that profiles must have links to implementation experience and adoption,
and to define the rules for creating them; i.e. it specifically
addresses the concerns that Ian raises.  I don't see a problem with
'draft' documents; everyone knows that documents go through a draft
stage.  Unless Ian's reference to 'draft' profiles was referring to
"Informational" profiles?

One concern of Ian's that isn't addressed by the profile template
document is which bodies can produce profiles.  The intention, I
believe, is that the OGSA profiles have to be produced by the OGSA WG.
I agree that we need some central body that controls the production of
OGSA profiles.

Dave.