[ogsa-rss-wg] First hack at slides for F2F

Hwang Soonwook hwang at grid.nii.ac.jp
Thu Aug 11 11:08:45 CDT 2005

Mathias Dalheimer wrote:
> Donal K. Fellows wrote:
> > Soonwook Hwang wrote:
> >
> >> The architecture picture looks very nice. I like it very much.
> >> However, the interaction between
> >> the CSG and the reservation service makes me a little bit confused. I
> >> guess what you mean by the "CSG gets potential atomic
> >> reservation..," is that CSG makes a reservation request to the
> >> Reservation
> >> service (RS). The RS will probably interact with service containers (or
> >> other reservation service providers closely residing on resources) to
> >> make a reservation on the local resources. Would you give an
> >> a bit more explanation on the interaction (1)between CSG and RS and
> >> (2) between EPS and RS.
> >

> > The connection between CSG and RS is so that situations like the Calana
> > use-case can be incorportated, where candidates have a reservation
> > attached. On the other hand, the EPS should do something to deal with
> > reservations that aren't associated with a chosen candidate. Probably
> > also ought to confirm that a particular reservation *has* been selected.
>
> Well, in Calana you can't really separate the CSG and the EPS:
> Candidates are represented by bids (which have a reservation attached).
> The reservation is then commited for the winning resource, and canceled
> for all other resources. So for Calana, both CSG and EPS would have to
> interact with the RS. I am thinking about dropping reservations
> automatically if they're not commited during a certain period - this
> would minimize the task for the EPS.
>
> -Mathias

For my understanding of Calana from the Mathias's
"Grid Scheduling Use Cases" document, The
GridjobHandler seems to correspond to JM of
OGSA-EMS architecture. The Broker serves
as both EPS and CSG. However, I don't see the RS
of Donal's architecture picture in Calana.
Mathias, which component in Calana does
correspond to the RS in Donal's picture?
I just want to make sure that I understand
our disucssion correctly.

Soonwook