[ogsa-rss-wg] First hack at slides for F2F

Mathias Dalheimer dalheimer at itwm.fhg.de
Thu Aug 11 10:09:34 CDT 2005

Donal K. Fellows wrote:
> Soonwook Hwang wrote:
>
>> The architecture picture looks very nice. I like it very much.
>> However, the interaction between
>> the CSG and the reservation service makes me a little bit confused. I
>> guess what you mean by the "CSG gets potential atomic
>> reservation..," is that CSG makes a reservation request to the
>> Reservation
>> service (RS). The RS will probably interact with service containers (or
>> other reservation service providers closely residing on resources) to
>> make a reservation on the local resources. Would you give an
>> a bit more explanation on the interaction (1)between CSG and RS and
>> (2) between EPS and RS.
>

> The connection between CSG and RS is so that situations like the Calana
> use-case can be incorportated, where candidates have a reservation
> attached. On the other hand, the EPS should do something to deal with
> reservations that aren't associated with a chosen candidate. Probably
> also ought to confirm that a particular reservation *has* been selected.

Well, in Calana you can't really separate the CSG and the EPS:
Candidates are represented by bids (which have a reservation attached).
The reservation is then commited for the winning resource, and canceled
for all other resources. So for Calana, both CSG and EPS would have to
interact with the RS. I am thinking about dropping reservations
automatically if they're not commited during a certain period - this
would minimize the task for the EPS.

-Mathias