[ogsa-rss-bof] Charter BoF report

Mathias Dalheimer dalheimer at itwm.fhg.de
Fri Jul 8 07:16:09 CDT 2005

Hi again!

Donal K. Fellows wrote:
> Remaining issues as I see them.
>
>  1: Are we correct in saying "OGSA-WG and its subgroups" or should we
>     say "OGSA-WG and its affiliated groups"? To me, "subgroups" implies
>     that we believe that there is a strong relationship there, when I
>     think that the truth is closer to being a "confederation of the
>     willing". This is one to check with Hiro.
I agree, "affiliated groups" fits better. Maybe Hiro can also state his
oppinion.

>  2: We do not want our milestones to imply that we may not start on our
>     main deliverables until GGF15! :^) Best if we reworded that to say
>     instead that we will have started on our major deliverables by then.
I think this is an important topic and would like to have oppinions by
others on the list as well. My oppinion is:

We now have to evaluate the material of GSA and build upon this to write
our service description (*). For me, the service description is very
important. The OGSA Roadmap document (*) states:

"Service Description documents, which are written and maintained by the
appropriate domain-expert working groups, describe the services in the
area in natural language, listing the interfaces and operations defined
by each service."

So, this is basically the foundation upon which we will define the
services. From my point of view, we should use the time until GGF15 to
agree upon the service description. This might also involve to check
whether we can satisfy all requirements from our own schedulers etc. The
deliverables will then specify the services further. So, I think the
service description has several functions:

(1) Clarify how we expect the services behave.
(2) Clarify the relation to other OGSA services, e.g. the Information
Service.
(3) Provides an instrument for us to clarify what we want to do.

Once we have the service description, a lot of important work is already
done. Basically, we are starting to work on the main deliverables, as we
will be able to reuse the content. Formally, I don't think it makes
sense to start with the main deliverables now.

But, nevertheless, we should state more clearly what we expect the
service description to be (maybe I am wrong with my understanding). I
tried to add an additional scentence to the charter, please find it
attached.

Have a nice weekend,
Mathias

(*) links to the documents on gridforge:
- Use-cases:
https://forge.gridforum.org/docman2/ViewCategory.php?group_id=133&category_id=714
- Requirements document draft:
https://forge.gridforum.org/projects/gsa-rg/document/GSA-Requirements/en/1