[ogsa-hpcp-wg] Updated Advanced Filter specification

Steven Newhouse Steven.Newhouse at microsoft.com
Thu Jan 24 11:29:42 CST 2008

Hi Donal,

Thanks for the typos - embarrassing!

> Major point: Is there a reason for not using the elements from the
> Usage Record v1.0 specification in there?

I went back and reviewed the copy of the UR spec I've been carrying about for the last month! The need is to report a node status in terms of information to drive scheduling. Here used and free memory/processors are important. I could not see a way of capturing all that information from UR. UR is also focused on the absolute resource used by a job - as opposed to a node's resources.

Am I missing something here?

> (As a separate point, it's not
> exactly clear to me what the meaning of "free memory" is; operating
> systems do some funny tricks there.)

True - my flip answer its what the OS tells the scheduler for it to use in making its placement decisions. It may not be correct - but at least you get consistency that way!

Steven