[ogsa-hpcp-wg] SC06 Demo Questions/Info

Ian Foster foster at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 17 09:34:26 CDT 2006

Seconding Steven's note: the HPC Profile is not something that exists in
isolation, it is a profile on BES and JSDL.

At 03:29 PM 10/17/2006 +0100, Steven Newhouse wrote:
>Three comments:
>* Job Manager is more specific than resource manager - and would mean
>more IMHO to the target community.
>* The HPCProfile working group is driving the demo... but it is building
>heavily on the work of the BES & JSDL working groups and its _very_
>disappointing that this work and previous effort is not acknowledged.
>* There are many more groups involved - OMII-UK, EGEE, CROWN, GT4,...
>
>Steven
>
> >> I was thinking of this for a sign, but am very open to changes (I'm
> not great
> >> with the messaging side of things).
> >>
> >> Resource Manager Interoperability Demo
> >>
> >> This demo shows a single client making use of multiple clusters running
> >> different resource managers. Each cluster supports the OGSA HPC Profile, a
> >> standard being drafted within the Open Grid Forum.
> >> * web services based protocol for accessing and querying computing
> resources
> >> * uses SOAP over HTTP, so is programming language independent
> >> * participants include Microsoft, University of Virginia, Fujitsu and HP
> >

> > On 11/10/06 16:49, "Murphy, Sara" <Sara.Murphy at hp.com> wrote:
> >
> >> The following is a demo description that I have submitted for our booth
> >> guide.  We were restricted to 75 words or less:
> >>
> >> This demo shows grid interoperability across job schedulers and
> >> operating systems.  It includes a number of booths at SC06, including
> >> the HP and Microsoft booths. Clusters in the HP booth in this demo
> >> include an HP XC cluster, running Platform LSF, and an HP cluster
> >> running Microsoft CCS. This demo was developed by the HPC Profile
> >> Working Group of the Open Grid Forum, which is developing specifications
> >> for interoperability of batch job scheduling for scientific and
> >> technical applications.
> >

> > -- Chris
> >

> > On 13/10/06 07:42, "Joel Replogle" <replogle at ogf.org> wrote:
> >
> >> All - Having not received a response from Marty about these
> >> questions, I'm submitting them to the whole list.
> >>
> >> Also, I assume that there is a call happening today (in just a few
> >> minutes) for coordinating the HCPC demo at SC06?
> >>
> >> We're now one month away from SC06, so I'd really like to see the
> >> details of the demo nailed down.
> >>
> >> List of info/issues/questions:
> >>
> >> 1. Brief (non-techie, executive summary type) description of the
> >> demo, especially the application being run & what the observers of
> >> the demo will see
> >> 2. Techie description, including SW and HW involved and OGF specs
> >> involved
> >> 3. Diagram
> >> 4. All companies involved, booth #'s, contact names, etc (especially
> >> the main leader/spokesperson)
> >> 5. Why is the demo important (not just for potential adopters, but to
> >> the OGF too - if that is significant)
> >> 6. Who it important to  (who will use it and what benefits will be
> >> gained)
> [...]

Ian Foster -- Weblog: http://ianfoster.typepad.com
Computation Institute: www.ci.uchicago.edu & www.ci.anl.gov
Argonne: MCS/221, 9700 S. Cass Ave, Argonne, IL 60439
Chicago: Rm 405, 5640 S. Ellis Ave, Chicago, IL 60637
Tel: +1 630 252 4619 --- Globus Alliance: www.globus.org