[ogsa-hpcp-wg] MS HPCBasicProfile Web Service

Michel Drescher Michel.Drescher at uk.fujitsu.com
Sat Oct 14 04:50:18 CDT 2006

All,

Peter G. Lane wrote:
> Let me elaborate on why I need EPRs to be a requirement. Our
> implementation will be a stateful service with a static state resource
> for each resource manager that we interact with on the back end (i.e.
> fork/exec, PBS, LSF, Condor, ...). What this means is that you have to
> have a resource reference that cannot be obtained from the WSDL in order
> for our service dispatcher to know what state resource is associated
> with a particular CreateActivity (or any other BES-Factory operation)
> call. This is what EPRs are primarily good for. I realize stateless
> services don't need it, but if EPRs aren't supported then there's no
> realistic way we can participate seeing as thought we'd have to rewrite
> GRAM to, I guess, only do fork/exec. I know .Net has support for EPRs
> (heck, Microsoft was a coauthor for the WS-Addressing spec!), so I don't
> see this as a huge burden. And as I said before, we are assuming EPRs
> for the Activity references, so it's a bit puzzling that anybody would
> use anything else for the factory.

I strongly support Peter here on requiring EPRs.

It really shouldn't be that difficult to define a simple (I mean
*really* simple!) factory WSDL having one method with no input that
returns exactly one EPR. Agreeing on a transport binding shouldn't be
that difficult either, shouldn't it?

Implementing that factory should be a finger excercise.

Problem solved?

Cheers,
Michel

--