[ogsa-hpcp-wg] MS HPCBasicProfile Web Service

Peter G. Lane lane at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Oct 13 14:04:28 CDT 2006

Let me elaborate on why I need EPRs to be a requirement. Our implementation will be a stateful
service with a static state resource for each resource manager that we interact with on the back end
(i.e. fork/exec, PBS, LSF, Condor, ...). What this means is that you have to have a resource
reference that cannot be obtained from the WSDL in order for our service dispatcher to know what
state resource is associated with a particular CreateActivity (or any other BES-Factory operation)
call. This is what EPRs are primarily good for. I realize stateless services don't need it, but if
EPRs aren't supported then there's no realistic way we can participate seeing as thought we'd have
to rewrite GRAM to, I guess, only do fork/exec. I know .Net has support for EPRs (heck, Microsoft
was a coauthor for the WS-Addressing spec!), so I don't see this as a huge burden. And as I said
before, we are assuming EPRs for the Activity references, so it's a bit puzzling that anybody would
use anything else for the factory.

Peter