[ogsa-hpcp-wg] MS HPCBasicProfile Web Service

Peter G. Lane lane at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Oct 14 12:47:13 CDT 2006

Michel Drescher wrote:
> All,
>
> Peter G. Lane wrote:
>> Let me elaborate on why I need EPRs to be a requirement. Our
>> implementation will be a stateful service with a static state resource
>> for each resource manager that we interact with on the back end (i.e.
>> fork/exec, PBS, LSF, Condor, ...). What this means is that you have to
>> have a resource reference that cannot be obtained from the WSDL in order
>> for our service dispatcher to know what state resource is associated
>> with a particular CreateActivity (or any other BES-Factory operation)
>> call. This is what EPRs are primarily good for. I realize stateless
>> services don't need it, but if EPRs aren't supported then there's no
>> realistic way we can participate seeing as thought we'd have to rewrite
>> GRAM to, I guess, only do fork/exec. I know .Net has support for EPRs
>> (heck, Microsoft was a coauthor for the WS-Addressing spec!), so I don't
>> see this as a huge burden. And as I said before, we are assuming EPRs
>> for the Activity references, so it's a bit puzzling that anybody would
>> use anything else for the factory.
>
> I strongly support Peter here on requiring EPRs.
>
> It really shouldn't be that difficult to define a simple (I mean
> *really* simple!) factory WSDL having one method with no input that
> returns exactly one EPR. Agreeing on a transport binding shouldn't be
> that difficult either, shouldn't it?

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but why are you suggesting a method to retrieve the EPR? I'd
still need an EPR to call an operation that returns the service's EPR, so it doesn't make much sense
to me. If there's no discovery mechanism, then I'd suggest just writing the EPR to a log file and
distributing it from that.

As for a transport binding, I thought we already agreed on anonymous https.

Peter