[ogsa-dmi-wg] StartNotBefore element in Data Transfer

Michel Drescher Michel.Drescher at uk.fujitsu.com
Thu Oct 16 07:17:30 CDT 2008

Hi Mario,

yes, this is the only reliable way of modus operandi.

Having said that, I propose to add an additional chapter 3.4
explaining the use and semantics of xs:dateTime in OGSA-DMI:

" 3.4 Using dates and times in OGSA-DMI

OGSA-DMI makes use of the XML Schema data type xs:dateTime in various
places, for example to express the point in time when a DTI has
finished, or to convey a certain point in time in the future where the
DTI shall start transferring. However, the XML Schema data type
xs:dateTime allows to give dates and times both with and without time
zone. While dates and times including time zones express absolute
dates and times on a timeline, dates and times without time zones
express relative dates and times that must be interpreted according to
some context. This context-dependant interpretation often leads to
ambiguous situations.

Hence OGSA-DMI service implementations, when emitting dates and
times,  MUST express all dates and times (for example, the DTI's
StartTime attribute) using a time zone to relieve clients of knowledge
of the service's location. Also, OGSA-DMI implementations, when
receiving dates and times that do not include a time zone, MUST
evaluate that date and time in the service's local time zone."

What do you think?

Cheers,
Michel

On 16 Oct 2008, at 12:23, Mario Antonioletti wrote:

> Hi,
>   I'm ok about the proposed change below - just one point of
> clarification - only query that I have is the canonical time for
> this is the server time in the timezone the server lives in - right?
> I have a vague recollection that we did discuss this ...
>
>> For the group: I think we need to slightly reword the Functional
>> Specification better describing the StartNotBefore transfer
>> requirement.
>>
>> It currently reads as:
>> "This represents the [startNotBefore] information element. The data
>> transfer encapsulated by the DTI MUST NOT start before the date, time
>> and time zone specified by this element. If not specified its default
>> value will be the date and time that the DTI was created. The DTI
>> MUST
>> NOT enter the transferring state before this time unless the “Start”
>> operation on the DTI is invoked."
>>
>> I propose to replace that with the following paragraph:
>> "This represents the [start not before] information element. The data
>> transfer encapsulated by the DTI MUST NOT start before the date, time
>> and time zone specified by this element. If not specified then the
>> DTI
>> MUST wait for a client to invoke the Start operation before it can
>> enter the Scheduled state."
>>

> +1
>
> Mario
>
> +
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------+
> |Mario Antonioletti:EPCC,JCMB,The King's Buildings,Edinburgh EH9
> 3JZ.   |
> |Tel:0131 650 5141|mario at epcc.ed.ac.uk|http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk/~mario/
> +
> --