[OGSA-D-WG] ***SPAM*** Definition of data consistency

Dave Berry daveb at nesc.ac.uk
Mon Oct 8 16:11:15 CDT 2007

Jem queried our definition of data consistency, which is currently:

A policy that specifies or describes how up-to-date an instance of data
is in one service of a distributed system, with respect to one or more
instances of that data elsewhere in the system.

Jem said (in e-mail):

my thought was that data consistency would be a state of the data - it's
consistent w.r.t. some other set of data or it isn't; the policy would
be the rules that determine whether it is, and what the requirements
are.

I've had a look through our document and I agree.  We refer to data
consistency policies but also to data consistency requirements,
mechanisms and strategies.

So, how about this as a revised definntion:

"A measure of how up-to-date an instance of data is in one service of a
distributed system, with respect to one or more instances of that data
elsewhere in the system."

Best wishes,

Dave Berry
Deputy Director, Research & E-infrastructure Development
National e-Science Centre
15 South College Street, Edinburgh, EH8 9AA
+44 131 651 4039           www.nesc.ac.uk <http://www.nesc.ac.uk/>