[OGSA-D-WG] ***SPAM*** Definition of data consistency

Allen Luniewski luniew at us.ibm.com
Mon Oct 8 16:19:44 CDT 2007

Dave,

I think that I am okay with that suggested change.  I am a little bit
worried about using the word "measure" as it can be taken to imply things
that we really do not want to address (e.g., a means to measure and a
quantifiable scale for measurement).  I thought about suggesting changing
"A measure" to "An indication" but that seems just a bit too vague to me.
I don't have a better suggestion right now.

Allen Luniewski
IBM Cross Brand Services
IBM Silicon Valley Laboratory
555 Bailey Ave.
San Jose, CA 95141

408-463-2255
408-930-1844 (mobile)

             "Dave Berry"
             <daveb at nesc.ac.uk
             Sent by:                  <ogsa-d-wg at ogf.org>
             ogsa-d-wg-bounces                                          cc
             @ogf.org                  "Treadwell, Jem"
                                       <jem.treadwell at hp.com>
                                                                   Subject
             10/08/2007 02:11          [OGSA-D-WG] ***SPAM***  Definition
             PM                        of data consistency

Jem queried our definition of data consistency, which is currently:

|A policy that specifies or describes how up-to-date an instance of data  |
|is in one service of a distributed system, with respect to one or more   |
|instances of that data elsewhere in the system.                          |

Jem said (in e-mail):

my thought was that data consistency would be a state of the data - it's
consistent w.r.t. some other set of data or it isn't; the policy would be
the rules that determine whether it is, and what the requirements are.

I've had a look through our document and I agree.  We refer to data
consistency policies but also to data consistency requirements, mechanisms
and strategies.

So, how about this as a revised definntion:

"A measure of how up-to-date an instance of data is in one service of a
distributed system, with respect to one or more instances of that data
elsewhere in the system."

Best wishes,

Dave Berry
Deputy Director, Research & E-infrastructure Development
National e-Science Centre
15 South College Street, Edinburgh, EH8 9AA
+44 131 651 4039           www.nesc.ac.uk