[ogsa-d-wg] Definition of "data set"

Allen Luniewski luniew at almaden.ibm.com
Wed Jun 21 11:03:14 CDT 2006

Dave,

The definition looks reasonable as it pertains to the data "exported" from
a data service.

But it seems that we use the term to refer to the data contained within a
data service (i.e., unarchiected data if you will).  Could we replace
these usages with a different phrase, perhaps something like "the data
resource's data"?  or "the data held by the data resource"?  A bit awkward
in phrasing but it avoids the need to have a two headed definition or
trying to invent a new term.

Allen

"Dave Berry" <daveb at nesc.ac.uk>
Sent by: owner-ogsa-d-wg at ggf.org
06/21/2006 04:27 AM

<ogsa-d-wg at gridforum.org>
cc

Subject
[ogsa-d-wg] Definition of "data set"

The glossary in the OGSA Data Architecture document currently defines
"data set" as:

"An encoding of data in a syntax suitable for externalisation outside of a
data service, for example communication to/from a data service.
Examples include a WebRowSet encoding of an SQL query result set, a JPEG
encoded byte array, and a ZIP encoded byte array of a set of files."

Is this correct?  I'm not convinced that we use the term consistently to
mean this - sometimes we just seem to mean a defined set of data items on
a resource.  We may need to check each occurrence of the term (there
aren't too many).

Best wishes,

Dave Berry
Deputy Director, Research & E-infrastructure Development
National e-Science Centre, 15 South College Street
Edinburgh, EH8 9AA                  +44 131 651 4039