[ogsa-d-wg] Definition of "data set"

Mario Antonioletti mario at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Wed Jun 21 08:08:57 CDT 2006

Hi,

> The glossary in the OGSA Data Architecture document currently defines
> "data set" as:
>
> "An encoding of data in a syntax suitable for externalisation outside of
> a data service, for example communication to/from a data service.
>
> Examples include a WebRowSet encoding of an SQL query result set, a JPEG
> encoded byte array, and a ZIP encoded byte array of a set of files."
>
> Is this correct?

I think this definition may have come from DAIS. Have to be slightly
careful as the term is used in various other places (hence the term is
slightly over-loaded), for instance:

http://www.devarticles.com/c/a/ADO.NET/Datasets-in-Microsoft.Net/

and this is only one other reference to it ...

 			Mario

|Mario Antonioletti:EPCC,JCMB,The King's Buildings,Edinburgh EH9 3JZ.   |
|Tel:0131 650 5141|mario at epcc.ed.ac.uk|http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk/~mario/ |