[OGSA-BES-WG] The up-to-date specification?

Piotr Domagalski szalik at szalik.net
Wed Feb 20 11:06:35 CST 2008

On Feb 20, 2008 5:15 PM, Steven Newhouse <Steven.Newhouse at microsoft.com> wrote:
> > 1. The BES-Management port doesn't allow any faults to be throwed - so
> > how should I notify the client that he is not authorized to perform
> > this call?
>
> Auithorization checks are generally (should) be done before any user operation
> enters the service. This why these operation are in a different port type. You
> should be able to specify in your hosting environment the access policy for just the
> management port type and hence these operations. So the service code never
> gets to make an authorization decision.

I don't think I got that.

No matter how I configure the service, there's always the possibility
that an authenticated user (e.g. by means of WS-Security) connects to
the BES-Management port but she should not be authorized to call the
StopAcceptingNewActivities method. Putting the matter of who is
throwing the fault aside (whether it's the environment or the service
itself) there should be a SOAP fault returned that is specified in
WSDL. Now, there's no such thing in BES-Management WSDL as far as I
can see...

Or am I missing something here?

> > 2. Generally, the fault semantics are unclear to me, i.e. when should
> > I use the fault directly in SOAP response and when should I put it
> > into the response message. My questions are almost exactly the same as
> > in https://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/artf6066?nav=1 Any chance on
> > getting answers to that?
>
> IMHO faults should be returned in the body of the response. This allows
> operations on multiple activities to be requested, and for some to fail or succeed.

That does sound reasonable.

In that case when should the SOAP fault UnknownActivityIdentifierFault
be thrown (not the one put into the Response element) ? It is defined
as WSDL operation fault for GetActivityStatuses, TerminateActivities
and GetActivityDocument. Should that be the case, when all of the
supplied identifiers are unknown (as required in 6.2, first bullet)?

Other related question - what error should be returned by
TerminateActivity that is called on an already cancelled/failed
activity? And what about the case of not authorized termination? The
spec doesn't mention NotAuthorizedFault being possible here but does
so in case of GetActivityDocument which is obviously less harmful.

> This is the current draft. The comments that have emerged during the last 6 months of experience have not yet been
> resolved into a new document. This will take place on the basis of the experience document currently going through
> OGF and when the document is submitted as a full OGF standard.

OK, thanks. And when can we expect OGSA-BES to become a full OGF recommendation?

Thanks for your help!

--
Piotr Domagalski