[OGSA-BES-WG] The up-to-date specification?

Steven Newhouse Steven.Newhouse at microsoft.com
Wed Feb 20 10:15:51 CST 2008

> 1. The BES-Management port doesn't allow any faults to be throwed - so
> how should I notify the client that he is not authorized to perform
> this call?

Auithorization checks are generally (should) be done before any user operation enters the service. This why these operation are in a different port type. You should be able to specify in your hosting environment the access policy for just the management port type and hence these operations. So the service code never gets to make an authorization decision.

> 2. Generally, the fault semantics are unclear to me, i.e. when should
> I use the fault directly in SOAP response and when should I put it
> into the response message. My questions are almost exactly the same as
> in https://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/artf6066?nav=1 Any chance on
> getting answers to that?

IMHO faults should be returned in the body of the response. This allows operations on multiple activities to be requested, and for some to fail or succeed.

> 3. I'm willing to extend the state model. Where should I add
> appropriate operations then (e.g. to suspend an activity)?
> BES-Factory? Is there any guidelines on that?

The BES spec describes how you can extend the state model returned by the standard BES operations. If you want to add an extra operation into the port type to suspend an activity - then this moves beyond the scope of the current spec. I would suggest cloning the TerminateActivities operation.

> 4. Finally, where should I look for the most up-to-date specification?
> Is the GFD.108.pdf at ogf.org the only source of the latest
> specification? As far as I can see in the tracker, there were some
> changes scheduled, but it seems to me they haven't gone into the pdf
> doc.

This is the current draft. The comments that have emerged during the last 6 months of experience have not yet been resolved into a new document. This will take place on the basis of the experience document currently going through OGF and when the document is submitted as a full OGF standard.

Regards,

Steven