[OGSA-BES-WG] BES question

Michel Drescher Michel.Drescher at uk.fujitsu.com
Mon Mar 19 05:58:25 CDT 2007

Hi,

let me try answer this, too:

dejw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this is interesting - so something else is sent which identifies
> directly the executed job? something like job id?
>
> So far we had worked with various job submission services let me say -
> and always we got job id,

Were these submission services WS and WS-Addressing based?
If not, then these systems are "old style" (*cough* *cough*) and the job id
is the only handle you get back.

> the case is how to check later the job status for example? The unique
> pair we used always was: uri of the target system + job id got form
> there after job submission.

This makes me guess you actually usedd WS and WS-Addressing based job
submission services.

> In the case you mentioned there is some other information (not job id)
> which finally is unique and identifies submitted job in the given
> service? if yes then we can treat it as something like job id.

I guess you got the semantics of EPRs mixed up*.
An EPR's [address] and [reference parameter]s are opaque to at least the
user. Reading and trying to understand them is unwanted by the
specification, though not explicitly stated. These both form a unique
identification for a  Web Service (particularly for stateful Web Services).
Even though the [address] is of tye xsd:anyURI, and even more though most
implementations stuff *URL*s in it** it can hold any type of information
that fits the uniqueness requirements, including URIs (e.g.
"urn:foo.completely-opaque-information.Y29tcGxpY2F0ZWQ=").

Hence target system generated job ids are not at all guaranteed being any
parseable part of a job's EPR *unless* it is made so by proper means (e.g.
EPR Metadata, etc.).

Cheers,
Michel

* Which is, I may say, fairly common, still.
** This, I believe, is a requirement for RESTful Web Services.