[ogsa-bes-wg] V21 of the BES draft

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Tue Aug 15 16:57:44 CDT 2006

Hi BES folx,

The SAGA Core Specification is getting closer to completion.
One of the elements we wanted to use from the OGSA-BES
specification is its state model.  We had some discussion
with Marvin Theimer and Chris Smith at GGF17, and back then
it looked like the BES and SAGA state model would converge
very nicely.

What is the current state of the state model (hope you
appreciate the clever play of words)?  Is it expected to
undergo major changes before the OGSA-BES spec goes into
the document pipeline?

In the doc version as sent by Morgan I could not immediately
find any information about allowed/forbidden state
transitions.  Is there a complete state diagram available?

Also, I missed the Suspended state, which was in discussion
earlier - is that gone?  Is that supposed to be part of the
state detail in the Running state?  If yes, the SAGA state
diagram would need to differ from the BES state diagram: in
SAGA, Suspended is supposed to be a top level state.

Sorry if these issues should be clear from the doc, or from
the discussions on this list - I was not able to follow the
BES activities as closely as would have liked to...

For what its worth, I attach the current SAGA state diagram.
IFAICS, exchanging SAGA::New with BES::Pending and
SAGA::Unknown with BES::New would yield the current BES
state diagram - apart from SAGA::Suspend that is.

Thanks,

  Andre.

Quoting [Mark Morgan] (Aug 15 2006):

--
"So much time, so little to do..."  -- Garfield