[ogsa-bes-wg] V21 of the BES draft

Mark Morgan mmm2a at virginia.edu
Tue Aug 15 16:26:47 CDT 2006

Fellow BES'ers,

I have uploaded to GridForge (and attached to this email for your
convenience) my revamped version of the BES specification as agreed to
during last week's telecon.  The great majority of changes reflect
resolutions that we reached on that telecon and include a re-work of the
state model (both in text and xml form) as well as a rework of the
attributes or info model (again, in text and XML form).  It is my belief
that the document now constitutes a consistent story from English
description through XSD and WSDL though by no means should the document be
considered fully proofed or ready for ppublishing.  The following details
apply:

The version of the document that I uploaded is based originally on that
received from Mr. Ian Foster and so should include many of his changes.  As
per the BES telecon discussion, some of the material in that document has
been moved to an appendix.  In particular, the discussion on JSDL extensions
is now an appendix (in fact, I simply cut-and-paste that chapter into the
appendix so no editing has been done there and probably should be before we
go public).

Also, the specification had been split into three separate port types;
management, factory, and activity.  As per our discussions, activity is out
of scope for BES but quite reasonable as an appendix.  I therefor removed
this port type from the document proper.  However, I didn't feel like I had
the time nor the vested interest in that port type necessary to do it
justice.  It therefor has not been re-added into an appendix and if the
group feels like it has a place there, some work needs to be done to
re-insert it.

In Ian's original draft, each of the separate port types had it's own
attributes/properties.  However, as per resolutions on last week's telecon,
this no longer fit the model we had agreed upon.  I have therefor moved all
such attributes into the management port type (which seems reasonable as one
could construe info model as a management function).

Finally, just to be clear on how I handled the state model (as I think this
was one of our key features), I have defined a new data type called
OverallStatusType which contains exactly one of bes-factory:New,
bes-factory:Pending, bes-factory:Running, bes-factory:Cancelled,
bes-factory:Failed, and bes-factory:Finished as a child element.  Each of
these elements in turn has an xsd:any inside which can be used for arbitrary
specialization or sub-stating.  For example, suppose I wished to reflect
that I was in the Mark Morgan Blocked sub-state of the Uva VCGR Staging-In
sub-state of the spec. defined Running state.  My XML for that would look
like:

<bes-factory:OverallStatus
	xmlns:bes-factory="http://schemas.ggf.org/bes/2006/08/bes-factory"
	xmlns:vcgr="http://vcgr.cs.virginia.edu/bes/2006/08/states"