[ogsa-bes-wg] V21 of the BES draft

Peter G. Lane lane at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Aug 15 19:48:33 CDT 2006

This thing's really shaping up! Kudos to everybody!

A very minor nitpick: I would prefer the official BES-Management NS prefix to be "bes-mgmt" instead
of "bes-man". The "mgmt" abbreviation for "management" is quite common, whereas this is the first
time I've seen "man" used to abbreviate it.

Typo: first paragraph of "JSDL 1.0 Overview" has "state out" when it should be "stage out".

In the third bullet under "Naming Activities: Endpoint Refereces" (and consequently in section
1.1.7), Should we in fact be using the namespaces from the WS-Addressing and WS-Naming specs for the
definitions of EndpointReferenceType instead of the BES-centric namespaces created solely for this
spec to identify the same things? I feel like the namespaces here are unnecessarily arbitrary.

Typo: second paragraph of section 6.1. should have "may contain 0" instead of "may contains 0".

Could we change "My Organization's Big Iron" in secion 1.1.2 to "My Organization's Big Iron
Machine"? The current text sounds a little funny. It'll also jive a little better with the LongName
example.

The descriptions for sections 1.1.15 and 1.1.16 seem to imply that the associated operations are
merely suggestions for ceasing or resuming job processing as opposed to operations that would, say,
block until the job acceptance state of the BES is changed. Was this intentional? If not, I feel
like the base semantics should be made more clear.

Typo: the description for section 1.1.17 should end with "attributes.", not "attribute.".

The operation definition sections should either have real type names (i.e. jsdl:JobDefinition
instead of JSDLDocument) or remove the pseudo type names from the arguments. I would opt for the
latter since the WSDL defines all of this anyway. It's additionally confusing that the use of pseudo
type names is inconsistent.

I don't understand what ContainedResourceAttributes is. Is this an aggregation of all the
activities' resource attributes? If so, why isn't obtaining this data done through an operation like
GetActivitiesStatus or GetJSDLDocuments? Aggregation of activity attributes is problematic from an
implementation point of view. It forces the implementation to compromise between freshness of the
data and performance of the services. Granted one could implement a dynamic attribute that gets
populated on demand, but this seems inconsistent with the way the other aggregated data is handled.

Lastly, I disagree with the decision to move all the attributes into the BES-Management schema. This
leaves me unable to, for example, only support the BES-Factory interface since all the useful
information is missing from the port type that defines the essential operations. My understanding
was that supporting both port types was optional, but doing it this way essentially contradicts that
statement. I'll put it another way: this information is not "management" data in terms of managing
the BES service itself (what the BES-Management port type was intended for). The attributes relate
to management of the underlying compute resources and the activities that are using them. That's
exactly what the factory interface is for. So I don't particularly care if the attributes all remain
in one schema or not, but I feel strongly that the schema they are in should be the factory schema.

Peter