[OGSA-AUTHZ] Comments on "Use of SAML for OGSA AUthorization"

Von Welch vwelch at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Sat Jan 15 12:37:43 CST 2005

Dane,

first URL below. I believe this document is now ready to proceed along
with the attribute document at the second URL.

https://forge.gridforum.org/docman2/ViewProperties.php?group_id=119&category_id=450&document_content_id=3292
https://forge.gridforum.org/docman2/ViewProperties.php?group_id=119&category_id=451&document_content_id=2818

Von

Dane Skow writes (17:20 January 14, 2005):

 > I agree with your responses and close all my comments save the
 > following items :
 >
 > On Jan 12, 2005, at 5:48 PM, Von Welch wrote:
 >
 > >>  *** Editorial comments ***
 > >>
 > >> The "ogsa-saml" XML namespace isn't at the URI listed. Is this a
 > >> chicken and the egg problem or a problem with the website ?
 > >> (there are others as well inside the doc)
 > >
 > > URI are not URLs. They do not necessarily resolve. In this case the
 > > URI is purely a unique identifier (like an OID).
 >
 > I'm confused: doesn't the namespace document need to be publicly
 > available ? If it's not available by resolving the URI, where should it
 > be ?

It's not a namespace document. It's a namespace identifier. All this
URI does is uniquely scope the names that follow, it happens to look
like a URL, but that is where the resemblance ends. Think of a URI as
equivalent to an OID, but it leverages DNS namespaces such that there
doesn't have to be a top-level registry.

 > Anyway, my main concern was whether we'd uncovered a problem
 > with the GGF webpages missing some documents that should be there now.
 >
 > >> Section 7, paragraph 1, sentence 2, should read "... used to meet OGSA
 > >> requirements ..." (transposition)
 > >
 > > I'm staring at the sentence and it seems to read what you already
 > > suggest.
 >
 > In the copy I'm looking at, it says "OSGA" not "OGSA".

Fixed.