[ogf20pc] Allocating workshops to slots (DRAFT) - free spaces

Dave Berry daveb at nesc.ac.uk
Sun Feb 25 11:30:39 CST 2007

Dear all,

As promised, I took a look at how we might allocate workshops to slots.
Before going any further, let me stress that the attached spreasheet is
purely exploratory.  The aim of this exercise is to investigate how much
room we have for manouevre.  Even the mapping of workshops to days is
conjectural, let alone the allocation of individual rooms.

The exercise does reveal some scope for flexibility.  David Wallom and
Wolfgang Gentzsch tell me they can combine their workshops into one,
needing three sessions.  This removes some of the strain.  The result is
that we can fit in the e-Humanities workshop and still have some
sessions left over to allocate.  In the attached scenario, there are two
free sessions on the Monday morning, two on the Monday evening, and one
on the Tuesday morning (although othe rvariations are possible).

I can think of several possible uses for these extra sessions and would
appreciate your input on which of these (or others) would give the best
results:

- I think we need an e-science community session of some sort on the
Tuesday morning.  One possibility would be to have an invited talk.

- We could try and squeeze in the e-health workshop.  Although if this
has a largely UK focus (even with an expended remit), Monday might be a
poor choice of day - so it might involve a swap with the Astro or
e-Humanities workshop.

- We could add some more technology reviews.  We have specifically
received proposals from OGSA-DAI, OMII-Europe and the Gridway
metascheduler, and there are many others "carried forward" from OGF19.
(Personally, I think Condor would be the next in the list in terms of
widespread use).

- I am trying to fit in a talk from the European Commission.  Currently
I'm thinking of doing this by reducing Wednesday's lunch to an hour, but
perhaps another approach would be to give this as an invited talk in a
normal session, perhaps even combined with OMII-Europe?  We'd probably
have to jiggle the attached scenario to get the best choice of days for
this.

Dave Berry
Deputy Director, Research & E-infrastructure Development
National e-Science Centre, 15 South College Street
Edinburgh, EH8 9AA           Tel: +44 131 651 4039