[ogf20pc] Today's telcon

Geoffrey Fox gcf at grids.ucs.indiana.edu
Thu Feb 15 08:47:41 CST 2007

You are correct of course! There just happen to be different mechanisms
for "community program" (introduced in GGF14) and group business
sessions (introduced in beginning of time). This distinction is
highlighted for OGF 20 as there are not many sessions for community
program but partly as they can be offered thursday and friday, less
pressure on group sessions

Malcolm Atkinson wrote:
> My understanding Geoffrey was that any activity aimed at developing
> and sustaining a grid community was and is an activity in a community
> programme.  I find it hard to understand the distinction between a
> meeting of a community group which is, at least in part, trying fulfil
> that obligation and a meeting in the "community programme". I agree
> that ET-CG has plenty of flexibility about when it meets, compared
> with some other activities that you wish to cluster.  The value of
> including some of the *-CG activities within the cluster of your
> community programme should be considered.
>
> I still find it a complete semantic mystery how the phrase "community
> programme" doesn't include the meetings of the community groups.
> But no problems now <((-:}
>
> Malcolm
>

> On 13/2/07 17:12, "Geoffrey Fox" <gcf at grids.ucs.indiana.edu> wrote:
>
>     I apologize that ice storm here has made it impossible for me to
>     attend telecon
>
>     Proposed strategy looks good!
>     I did communicate with IVOA and they indicated that they could
>     even prefer OGF21 to OGF20
>     I suggested ET-CG switch to group sessions
>
>     The community program is aimed at significant mini-workshops
>     rather than individual presentations or other 90 minute events
>     that can be done by group mechanism. I would prefer a few good
>     "significant" projects be chosen rather than many small ones
>
>     Dave Berry wrote:
>

>         Hi Erwin,
>
>         There are fewer than 48 proposals, as some proposals requested
>         more than
>         one session.
>
>         I realise that we won't be able to consider every proposal in
>         detail but
>         I would like to briefly consider each one, seeing in which
>         track they
>         would best fit.  I agree that a more detailed consideration
>         will have to
>         take place off-line.
>
>         I would also like to see whether we want to respond to some
>         proposers
>         with alternative possibilities.  E.g. for some, we might ask
>         whether
>         they would consider running in fewer sessions.  For others, we
>         might
>         suggest they are more appropriate as group sessions, or that
>         they give a
>         presentation in the Grids Mean Business track instead of
>         running in a
>         separate session.
>
>         Best wishes,
>
>         Dave.

:
: Geoffrey Fox  gcf at indiana.edu FAX 8128567972 http://www.infomall.org
: Phones Cell 812-219-4643 Home 8123239196 Lab 8128567977
: SkypeIn 812-669-0772 with voicemail, International cell 8123910207