[occi-wg] Draft of OCCI 1.1 profile for VM templates/flavours

Sill, Alan alan.sill at ttu.edu
Tue Mar 17 13:47:17 EDT 2015

Let me be clear on this: These two new US NSF projects, Chameleon and CloudLab, are specifically designed for “testbed as a service”, a la the previous and now completed FutureGrid project. They are general testbed implementation frameworks that allow you to install and configure any software for which you have licenses (commercial or open source), and are specifically designed to allow short-term tests of such software. Easy access is available and the environment is intended to allow repeatable, reproducible instantiation for computer science or other repeatable test projects.

The projects are new and templates are not available for all possible software. OpenStack is easy and in the past, we also had other software, such as Eucalyptus etc. also available on FutureGrid, so I imagine templates will become available soon for other infrastructure software. You can create a template yourself for anything you want, or work with the available templates to add interfaces for example to OpenStack. I think a short-term low hanging fruit use might be to add occi-os to the existing OpenStack REST and EC2 interfaces for Alamo on Chameleon, for example. Other projects are possible.

The utility of this is that you get to instantiate your own whole cloud environments from scratch on this infrastructure, including any special changes or adaptions you would like to try out, and run them as you would a batch job for interoperability and/or performance testing purposes. This frees you up from having to depend on the versions of the software that are supported on running production interfaces, and will hopefully be useful for testing.

I encourage the whole group to sign up. Pleas do so! The only thing that I ask in return is that you agree to provide at the end of the project some time in the future a brief summary of what you have learned in using the testbed.

Alan