[occi-wg] XML to describe instances

Jean Parpaillon jean.parpaillon at free.fr
Fri Jan 24 22:13:08 EST 2014

Hi Augusto,

Le vendredi 24 janvier 2014 à 21:31 +0100, Augusto Ciuffoletti a écrit :
> Time ago someone proposed to use XML as a tool to describe OCCI. As a
> result we now have the XML description of high order concepts (kinds),
> and an XSD that binds the way in which such higher order concepts are
> described. This is certainly a result.
>

> But XML might be useful also to describe low order concepts, i.e.
> resources, which is a different (though tightly related) issue. We
> have an example today in the "erocci" discussion. The fact of having a
> clean higher order description based on XML/XSD wired in the engine
> does not help us in clarifying an otherwise straightforward detail
> about the way resources are described. This is because the JSON
> rendering is certainly useful for practical reasons,  but there is no
> XSD for JSON (at least to my knowledge).

It exists some JSON schema (http://json-schema.org/ ) with, if I
undestand correctly, some validators and parsers, but I've never used
them. I suppose the JSON spec should include a schema of the kind.

> My idea is that having an XSD also for resources (that describes the
> syntax for resources, not for kinds) would be beneficial: it can be
> probably derived from the JSON document, but once defined it can be
> used to automate the validation of XML resource descriptions, and for
> all those descriptive languages for which an XML mapping exists (JSON
> included).

I have not emaphasized on that yet, but the occi.xsd schema contains
also description of resources and kinds. Nevertheless, it is not yet
implemented completly in erocci, as I'm focusing on JSON rendering
first. Any comments welcome.
For the contributions ;) , just have a look at occi_parser_xml.erl and
occi_renderer_xml.erl

Cheers,
Jean