[occi-wg] Updates to OCCI core

Ralf Nyren ralf at nyren.net
Wed Mar 14 05:22:49 EDT 2012

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 18:35:51 +0000, "Feldhaus, Florian"
<florian.feldhaus at gwdg.de> wrote:
> Here are some ideas for extending the description of attributes. To more
> clearly specify attributes, a new new class 'attribute' should be added
> OCCI Core. For the class diagram this would require to remove '+
attributes
> :Set<String>' from category and instead connect it with the attribute
class
> in a many to one dependency.

We actually had an Attribute class for I while and I guess it is time to
re-introduce it.

However, we MUST NOT call it "Attribute". First we already have like 5 or
so different things we call "attribute" currently and adding another
"thing" with the same name is just too much. OCCI Core is hard enough to
read as it is already. Secondly, an object of this class is not really an
attribute since it has no value. It is a type definition of an attribute, a
meta-attribute :D

But given a proper name which is not too confusing this is all great.

> Ideas for the attribute class:
> - the attribute class should consist of the attributes: mutable,
required,
> type, default

hehe, attribute class with attributes... you see why we need another name?
;)

> - the naming of attributes of the OCCI specification MUST start with
occi
> followed by term and the attribute name (e.g. occi.compute.cores)

No, this is too restrictive. Remember that each scheme is a separate
namespace. What we could do is say that attribute name must end with
.term.attrname, e.g. occi.[xxx.]<term>.<attr>.

> - the naming of attributes of user defined mixins MUST start with the
> reversed domain name of the mixin scheme followed by the term and the
> attribute name (e.g. com.example.my_mixin.my_attribute)

See above, same applies here.

> - the attribute type should contain restrictions on the attribute like
for
> example:
>  * string: choices, min_length, max_length
>  * number: bounds (one or more lower and upper bounds)
> - there might be more detailed attribute types such as URL or URI,
float,
> integer, ...

This must be detailed out properly. I would rather keep it on the simple
side though...

/Ralf