[occi-wg] Using OCCI with infrastructure frameworks and local batch adapters [Re: Sessions at OGF 34]

Alan Sill Alan.Sill at ttu.edu
Mon Feb 27 10:51:01 EST 2012

Hi Gregor,

I surveyed a few of the group members and leaders on these topics, and
the overall sense seems to be that while the interfaces to framework
projects such as OpenStack, OpenNebula etc. do exist and and maturing,
there are not yet any projects underway to make direct connections
from OCCI to local batch resource managers such as the ones that you
mention.

In other words, there is not yet (and not immediately on the horizon)
a project to introduce the OCCI equivalent of GRAM for batch job
submission.

That is not to say that such an interface is impossible, but it might
require the same sort of care that went into development of LRM
adapters for GRAM, and possibly is a design project.

Questions b) - d) that you posed relate to some of the above active
projects.  My understanding is that these topics will be discussed at
this week's OCCI-WG teleconference, details of which are at the link
below.

https://forge.ogf.org/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.occi-wg/wiki/TeleconferenceCalls

In particular, B) and D) are active, but work across the board on
Eucalyptus has been hard to motivate, as in most people's experience
the current Eucalyptus framework has been buggy, hard to work with and
not very scalable, so has been a low priority to get working.  (If we
understand this to be a surrogate for working with EC2-style
interfaces and therefore for working with Amazon, it might be possible
to generate more enthusiasm, but the work so far has been on truly
open interfaces.)

The meetings are scheduled  Wednesdays 10am EDT, 4pm CET, 3pm BST,
Thursday 12am Tokyo according to the group wiki page.  Can I suggest
that you join them to pursue some or all of these topics with the group?

Thanks!  And hope this helps,

Alan

P.S.: Group members, please feel free to supply any corrections...

On Feb 25, 2012, at 2:40 AM, Gregor von Laszewski wrote:

> In a discussion with Andre, he indicated that it would be nice to
> have some OCCI services on FutureGrid. As I have not followed much
> availability of such services here are a couple of questions that
> came up
>
> a.1) how can a user on install his own OCCI services that interface
> with SLURM
>
> a.2) how can a user on install his own OCCI services that interface
> with Moab
>
> b) how can a user install an OCCI based service if there is an
> openstck installation available for him and he has an account on
>
> c) how can a user install an OCCI based service if there is a
> eucalyptus installation available for him and he has an account on
>
> d) how can a user install an OCCI based service if there is a open
> nebula installation available for him and he has an account on (I
> think Open nebula may come with an OCCI service?)
>
> It would be great to get answers from the experts so we can post
> them on FutureGrid
>
> By the way the JSON object rendering seems a very good idea.
>
> Thanks
>
> Gregor
>
> <ATT00001.txt>

Alan Sill, Ph.D
Senior Scientist, High Performance Computing Center
Adjunct Professor of Physics
TTU

:  Alan Sill, Texas Tech University  Office: Drane 162, MS 4-1167  :
:  e-mail: Alan.Sill at ttu.edu   ph. 806-834-5940  fax 806-834-4358  :