[occi-wg] Update of Link Header Rendering

Ralf Nyren ralf at nyren.net
Thu Sep 2 03:12:34 CDT 2010

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 04:15:08 +0200, Michael Behrens
<michael.behrens at r2ad.com> wrote:

> 1) Wikipedia reference to REST...for the spec, is there a normative
> publication that can be used?  Perhaps
> http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/top.htm

You are right, the wikipedia reference should be replace/removed when this
information is moved into the real specification.

> 2) What should a client do with links that do not present a category?
> For instance, if a storage category is specified, clients could group it
> with other storage elements, etc.  Perhaps implementers SHOULD provide
> categories if they are known.

A Link is always associated with at least one Category, i.e.
http://schemas.ogf.org/occi/core#link. The same is true for Resources as
well.

If you are referring to the "Minimal HTTP Link Header rendering" of
Resources, where only the Link target is provided, I would say a client
has to issue a separate GET request for the target to determine the type
(set of categories).

Maybe the minimal rendering is not very useful, should we remove it and
always require target type information in link rendering? If so, with the
case of multiple categories, which categories MUST be displayed and which
can be left out (if any)?

regards, Ralf