[occi-wg] Update of Link Header Rendering

Gary Mazz garymazzaferro at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 09:25:37 CDT 2010

Comments in line

Ralf Nyren wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 04:15:08 +0200, Michael Behrens
> <michael.behrens at r2ad.com> wrote:
>

>> 1) Wikipedia reference to REST...for the spec, is there a normative
>> publication that can be used?  Perhaps
>> http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/top.htm
>>

> You are right, the wikipedia reference should be replace/removed when this
> information is moved into the real specification.

I agree, all references to wikipedia should be removed (something I've
attempted in the past and met with resistance) . Wikipedia references
are unstable and some of marginal quality. We should move to reference
the "real" specification along with specifying version  and date.

>> 2) What should a client do with links that do not present a category?
>> For instance, if a storage category is specified, clients could group it
>> with other storage elements, etc.  Perhaps implementers SHOULD provide
>> categories if they are known.
>>

> A Link is always associated with at least one Category, i.e.
> http://schemas.ogf.org/occi/core#link. The same is true for Resources as
> well.
>
> If you are referring to the "Minimal HTTP Link Header rendering" of
> Resources, where only the Link target is provided, I would say a client
> has to issue a separate GET request for the target to determine the type
> (set of categories).

This is correct.. The client would have to issue individual get requests
for each occi resource target. It will be much more interesting with
links to external systems, especially non-http implementations. I'm,
still mulling over the credential comments from Wed, 9.01.2010 meeting.
> Maybe the minimal rendering is not very useful, should we remove it and
> always require target type information in link rendering? If so, with the
> case of multiple categories, which categories MUST be displayed and which
> can be left out (if any)?

IMO, the minimal rendering has never been useful in terms of usability.
Little work has been done accessing  a level of interoperability to
define a  "minimal rendering".  The "minimal rendering" may conflict
with current definitions  of mandatory attributes.

I believe the "minimal rendering" is redundant should be removed from
these OCCI specifications. The "minimal rendering" is already defined by
the specification's mandatory definitions.