[occi-wg] Infrastructure Document

Gary Mazz garymazzaferro at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 11:52:21 CDT 2010

Hi,

Let me "but in" here for a second and share my approach to occi
attribute partitioning, whether its a core element or an extension.

I like to use the VM as a rough tool to gauge capabilities. If the
attribute pertains to a definition between "OCCI Resources", core
functionality of the Resource or the Identification of the Resource it
should be part of the infrastructure.

If the attribute pertains to organizing multiple VMs, the binding
between the VMs and hosts, bindings between VMs and Operating systems or
bindings between VMs and external systems, should be considered an "OCCI
extension".

Dogmatically adhering  to this guideline could detrimentally affect the
usability of OCCI. With the exception of some roles for collections,  we
have executed this guideline concisely and still have a usable  design
and specification.  We do know that extensions will be adopted for
infrastructure and may impact the core model. How we frame and approach
the definition of extensions can help us managing specification change.

I hope this guideline can help with this discussion.

cheers,
gary