[occi-wg] Infrastructure Document

Csom Gyula csom at interface.hu
Sat Nov 6 02:23:13 CDT 2010

Extensions would do the home work:) Meanwhile for the long term I would
propose the following approach.

Some programming languages provides a so called standard library besides the
core. I think a similar solution could work here as well. That is typical extensions
those applicable to many situations but not all, could be covered by OCCI:
maybe not in the core but in a standard "library", maybe not in the next release
but in a later one.

---

Regarding DHCP... an occi.ipnetwork.dhcp could be the additional attribute. Like
occi.ipnetwork.gateway it would hold an IP address, namely the address of the
DHCP server. This would support only one goal: to tell the cloud that this
address is reserved in the range:

available addresses := occi.ipnetwork.address(es) - occi.ipnetwork.gateway - occi.ipnetwork.dhcp

But maybe I missunderstood the role of occi.ipnetwork.address:

- The spec says: "IPv4 or IPv6 Address range, CIDR notation", so I thought it
  was something like this: 192.168.1.0/24 would define a C class subnet with 256
  addresses.
  If this is the case than there is a need for a method to specify reserved
  addresses within the range. Gateway is a sample for such a reserved address
  but others could be there as wll (like DHCP if it is different from the gw).

- The spec also says that multiplicity is 0..* so maybe one can define many
  addresses, but cannot specify a whole range. That is she should list avalailable
  addresses one by one.
  If this is the case then there is no need for the suggested attribute. One could
  simply exlude the reserved addresses from the range.

So my question is: Could you please clarify the occi.ipnetwork.address semantics?
in respect of (a) address ranges vs. individual addresses and (b) reserved
addresses?

Cheers,
Gyula