[occi-wg] Editorial tool

Gary Mazz garymazzaferro at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 08:31:37 CDT 2010

+1 OO
Documents can be saved in raw XML format, although the directory
structure is a little complicated. OO Writer does have a convenient
merge functions, versioning, comments and review. Diffs are done via
"Edit->Compare Document", I think compare works as a command line,
although I never needed to try it.  The ODF (odt) document format is
just compressed xml. Mercurial  has diff scripts for odt  documents,
although hidden metadata is exposed and makes reviewing Mercurial diffs
challenging. It runs well on MAC, Vista/x64, OpenSolaris, FreeBSD and
most Linux distributions. Supports master documents, integrates with
spreadsheets and drawing tools. Outputs XML and there is third party
integration into wikis
OO Drawbacks, It can be slow in systems with low available memory,
another office framework to install, susceptible to JVM quirks.

Google doc require to be connected, difficult in the air, anywhere else
you cannot be connected.

Latex: We may as well stay with docbook

Word, if M$ would donate licenses to all editors

Plain text/Wiki: Collaboration and simultaneous editing could be dicey
depending on wiki and editor. Most wiki change tracking not intended for
collaborative and group review processes.

Personally, I think google docs is not mature enough for a production
environment.

cheers,
gary