[occi-wg] Horizontal & vertical scalability in the cloud

Randy Bias randyb at cloudscaling.com
Sun Oct 25 23:44:24 CDT 2009

This is hard.  CPU 'clock cycles' are not equivalent.  This is why
Amazon uses a very specific processor and year to create their ECU.
The 2007 1.2Ghz processors all road on 800Mhz FSBs, which limited the
amount of memory bandwidth (among other things).  Whereas modern CPUs
and the much better/faster busses of today mean that you can feed the
CPU much faster.

My point isn't that you shouldn't do it, it's simply that it's tricky.

If I had to make a recommendation it would be to baseline off of the
Amazon ECU.

--Randy

On Oct 25, 2009, at 7:56 PM, Sam Johnston wrote:

> I think you've touched on an interesting point there which ties in
> to the "need" for a universal compute unit

Randy Bias, Founder & Cloud Strategist, Cloudscaling
+1 (415) 939-8507 [m], randyb at cloudscaling.com
BLOG: http://cloudscaling.com/blog