[occi-wg] Horizontal & vertical scalability in the cloud

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Mon Oct 26 05:05:30 CDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 6:44 AM, Randy Bias <randyb at cloudscaling.com> wrote:

> This is hard.  CPU 'clock cycles' are not equivalent.  This is why Amazon
> uses a very specific processor and year to create their ECU.  The 2007
> 1.2Ghz processors all road on 800Mhz FSBs, which limited the amount of
> memory bandwidth (among other things).  Whereas modern CPUs and the much
> better/faster busses of today mean that you can feed the CPU much faster.

Now this is relevant because there was some contention (for reasons unknown)
over the inclusion of quantitative measurements of performance
characteristics such as memory
bandwidth<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_device_bandwidths#Memory_Interconnect.2FRAM_buses>.
Surely if some providers (or individual nodes) are using slow RAM, buses,
storage devices, etc. then as a consumer I should be able to find out about
it and/or set parameters on it? Conversely if I have an application that
requires ridiculously fast storage (say, SSD) then I should be able to
request this based on raw performance figures (the "what" rather than the
"how").

> My point isn't that you shouldn't do it, it's simply that it's tricky.
>
> If I had to make a recommendation it would be to baseline off of the Amazon
> ECU.

Interesting idea but surely that too is a moving target? Would it not also
favour Intel over AMD (or vice versa)? Having a standard unit to measure
against is an interesting idea, like the standard
kilogram<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CGKilogram.jpg>,
and perhaps it's something that could be built from commodity components.

Sam