[occi-wg] name-based access to resources

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Wed Oct 21 02:54:41 CDT 2009

Hi Adrian,

It looks like you were referring to the walkthrough which is now well out of
date. It will be updated at publication but in the mean time please refer to
the spec directly.

You'll see that URLs are now in fact opaque and leave structure to the
implementors/users (as is the case on the Internet today - we don't tell
people they have to put images in /images for example). We still have UUIDs
so as resources can be tracked as they move around within/between clouds (in
the same way that VMware virtualisation clients complain when you move VMs
and ask if you want to keep the old UUID or generate a new one) but they are
attributes.

This allows people to create sensible URL structures like
http://cloud.amazon.com/images/ami-123456 which the clients learn from the
protocol itself (in line with RESTful principles).

Hope that helps,

Sam