[occi-wg] Is HTTP the HTTP of cloud computing?

Roger Menday roger.menday at uk.fujitsu.com
Wed May 27 07:06:22 CDT 2009

hi Richard

> I thought this idea was interesting, and it was a shame that no one
> else has
> yet commented on it.

well, i didn't comment on it in this round of discussions, but i did
comment over lunch on thursday, right (?), and previously on this list

http://www.ogf.org/pipermail/occi-wg/2009-May/000574.html *

so, the current direction is quite encouraging, and despite some minor
scuffles breaking-out, we are moving forward, IMO.

what i am currently trying to do is to document how Andy's model
(minus the XSD) can be aligned with the renderings (including
something demonstrable).

Roger

* that email actually addresses a number of key things we should be
doing in OCCI

> It is certainly a very minimal rendering, and is also
> one which could work.

>> HTML also resolves another pressing issue - what format to use for
>> submitting key-value pairs (which constitutes a large part of what
>> we need
>> to do with OCCI). It gives us two options:
>
> I certainly agree that simple flat key value pairs are sufficient to
> represent everything that we need to do - the entire EH API uses
> nothing
> else.
>
>> * application/x-www-form-encoded which is simple but quickly gets
>>  messy with encoding and non-ASCII characters
>
> There is also precedent for sending data in this format - for example
> the Amazon EC2 Query API and also Google Checkout:
> http://code.google.com/apis/checkout/developer/Google_Checkout_HTML_API_Notification_API.html#HTML_Parameter_Definitions
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard.

Roger Menday (PhD)
<roger.menday at uk.fujitsu.com>

Senior Researcher, Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe Limited
Hayes Park Central, Hayes End Road, Hayes, Middlesex, UB4 8FE, U.K.
Tel: +44 (0) 208 606 4534

 Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe Limited
 Hayes Park Central, Hayes End Road, Hayes, Middlesex, UB4 8FE
 Registered No. 4153469

 This e-mail and any attachments are for the sole use of addressee(s) and
 may contain information which is privileged and confidential. Unauthorised
 use or copying for disclosure is strictly prohibited. The fact that this
 e-mail has been scanned by Trendmicro Interscan and McAfee Groupshield does
 not guarantee that it has not been intercepted or amended nor that it is
 virus-free.