[occi-wg] Incorporating units into OCCI

Gary Mazz garymazzaferro at gmail.com
Tue May 26 22:36:40 CDT 2009

So, now I can order a new 10gigE card ? Opps, sorry a 125Mb/s ethernet
card, or is that 10bit encoding ... a 100MB/s ethernet card, I forgot,
they have compression on the circuit so, I'm sending text, thats 8:1
compression and I'm sending binary thats 2:1 but binary only 20% of the
traffic and 10 bit encoding so that's a 720MB/s ethernet card.  We can
find the same issue in fibre channel and infiniband

Enough factitiousness... I've only had 4 hrs of sleep in 3 days.

Obviously common sense must be applied. There are common industry
terminologies which should be respected. The DMTF spec calls out their
CIM models with represent items in units other than bytes.

Presenting information in a form alien to the industry and role of the
user only isolates the user from the technology, adoption is a critical.
Companies spend a lot of money training their people both formally and
on the job. If I was assessing a product to roll out. And, the product
has different terminology than what my team was trained for, I would
take a hard look to see how it affected my business processes.  I would
need my staff to communicate in common terms, I don't need a product
that will drive up my operational costs; cause me to retrain and reduce
my production efficiency. I have made that decision against purchasing a
product for that identical reason.

I'm not going to argue not representing everything in bytes. If there is
consensus everything is one unit, go for it. I'll vote -1.You could win
me over if you can find one of the cloud apis or network product
marketed that allocates network bandwidth in bytes per second.

The real issue here is nearly everyone has a different set of
requirements. Design decisions are normally driven by them. Since occi
is racing to a goal, hard requirements are lacking.

Everything works out over time.

-gary