[occi-wg] Incorporating units into OCCI

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Tue May 26 21:37:34 CDT 2009

Quoting [Gary Mazz] (May 26 2009):

> Andre,
>
> Maybe I've misinterpreted what was proposed? I though if a particular
> industry infrastructure, like broadcast and telecom, natively uses a
> terminology like bits, the spec won't support their native terminology.
> For example cable channels, satellites and  mpeg is commonly referred to
> bits.
>
> By not supporting the native units of an industry, you infer that is not
> an industry your specification recognizes. I'm sure that's not the
> intent, but that is how it may be interpreted.

No, I think you understood correctly.  Still, you can't make
all happy if you want to have a well defined and finite! set
of units.

The units are supposed to be applied to disk space, memory
size, and network bandwidth only - is the industry you are
refering to specifying network bandwith in MBit/second?  I
doubt it.

Where would you stop?  Would you allow bit/minute?
TB/decade?  That would mean free form units, yet another
registry, and yet another set of conditions where
implementations will fail to interop.

Instead agreeing on a well known, fundamental unit which can
trivially be converted to other, domain specific units,
seems like an excellent and *simple* thing.  IMHO, we should
do as was proposed: either use always bytes (or always bits
if you want), or always KB, or MB, or [GB for disk, MB for memory,
MB/s for network].

I don't think some industry will feel ignored when we
specify disk space in gigabytes...

Cheers, Andre.

--
Nothing is ever easy.