[occi-wg] Incorporating units into OCCI

Pedro Martínez Juliá pedromj at um.es
Wed May 27 02:12:44 CDT 2009

El mar, 26-05-2009 a las 20:17 -0600, Gary Mazz escribió:
> Andre,
>
> Maybe I've misinterpreted what was proposed? I though if a particular
> industry infrastructure, like broadcast and telecom, natively uses a
> terminology like bits, the spec won't support their native terminology.
> For example cable channels, satellites and  mpeg is commonly referred to
> bits.
>
> By not supporting the native units of an industry, you infer that is not
> an industry your specification recognizes. I'm sure that's not the
> intent, but that is how it may be interpreted.

I apologize for my intermission but I would give my grain of sand. I
think that the "International System of Units" should be used and the
representation should support this kind of numbers, for example, support
units like: "1 bit", "1 kbit", "1 Gb", "1 GiB", "1 Ghz", etc. Don't
forget that "kilo-" is represented by "k" (not "K") and the difference
between "Gb" (gigabit) and "GiB" (gibibyte, giga-binary-byte).

> -gary

Regards,

    Pedro

--
Pedro Martínez Juliá
Department of Information and Communications Engineering
Email: pedromj at um.es