[occi-wg] Is OCCI the HTTP of Cloud Computing?

Randy Bias randyb at gogrid.com
Sat May 9 16:10:38 CDT 2009

First off, we've got to be careful about saying 'copy the image'.  You
probably mean 'copy the instance'.  Where an image is an on-disk
representation of an unpowered VM and an instance is a running version of
that same on-disk representation or a running copy.

So for 'cloning' do you mean:

    - An image in a library is turned into an instance?
    - A running instance is copied?
    - If a running instance is copied do you have a new image or a new
instance?
    - If you have a new instance, is it powered on automatically?
    - Does a new cloned instance have the exact same hardware profile
      as the original cloned instance?  RAM, CPU, disk?
    - Does a cloned instance also duplicate the RAM?

In other words, am I making a PURE 100% duplicated running instance (there
are use cases for this), a new reference image, or am I 'scaling' an
instance (either horizontally with more copies or vertically with a bigger
copy)?

I've seen clone used by customers, clouds, and various IT departments and
I've almost never seen the same definition.  It's about as bad as 'cloud'
when it comes to being defined.

When our customers ask for cloning they also usually mean very different
things.

I'd rather have a few different verbs here that specified different behavior
and that's potentially a rat's nest because not every cloud supports all of
these behaviors.

--Randy

http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.occi-wg/wiki/StateMode>

--
Randy Bias, VP Technology Strategy, GoGrid
randyb at gogrid.com, (415) 939-8507 [mobile]