[occi-wg] Opinion Poll: IaaS or PaaS ?

Krishna Sankar (ksankar) ksankar at cisco.com
Fri Jul 3 14:22:55 CDT 2009

Two points (actually four ;o)):

a) 	If OS is not part of an IaaS, then IaaS effectively is HaaS (Hypervisor as a Service); a virtual version of the hardware - nothing more, nothing less

b)	Which is not quite true ( as Randy mentions); in effect IaaS = HaaS + Cloud Infrastructure Services(compute, network, storage)
	VPNs, DNS, DHCP, MAC Address all come under this moniker of Cloud Infrastructure Services

b) 	I think the question is not running any OS on any HaaS (which would be nice, but most probably is not totally practical) but the ability to customize the *supported* OS layer, rather than use whatever configuration the IaaS provider has setup.
	For example, if an IaaS/HaaS supports Ubuntu, a cloud service consumer still would like to run its version of Ubuntu, customized for the application it wants to run. Remember, Andre talks about arbitrary OS-images not arbitrary OSs !

c)	And this makes more sense when we want to move the cloud application stack around or run a pickled cloud application stack.

Cheers
<k/>