[occi-wg] Opinion Poll: IaaS or PaaS ?

Randy Bias randyb at neotactics.com
Fri Jul 3 15:38:46 CDT 2009

On Jul 3, 2009, at 12:22 PM, Krishna Sankar (ksankar) wrote:
> a) 	If OS is not part of an IaaS, then IaaS effectively is HaaS
> (Hypervisor as a Service); a virtual version of the hardware -
> nothing more, nothing less
> b)	Which is not quite true ( as Randy mentions); in effect IaaS =
> HaaS + Cloud Infrastructure Services(compute, network, storage)
> 	VPNs, DNS, DHCP, MAC Address all come under this moniker of Cloud
> Infrastructure Services

Yes.

> b) 	I think the question is not running any OS on any HaaS (which
> would be nice, but most probably is not totally practical) but the
> ability to customize the *supported* OS layer, rather than use
> whatever configuration the IaaS provider has setup.
> 	For example, if an IaaS/HaaS supports Ubuntu, a cloud service
> consumer still would like to run its version of Ubuntu, customized
> for the application it wants to run. Remember, Andre talks about
> arbitrary OS-images not arbitrary OSs !

I don't think it's unreasonable to allow uploading images.  As I said,
Amazon has limited supported for this.  Unfortunately, most clouds are
not spending the time to make this work.  I think there is actually an
opportunity here for someone to create an on-demand conversion
service.  I would certainly pay for it.

> c)	And this makes more sense when we want to move the cloud
> application stack around or run a pickled cloud application stack.

Yep.

--Randy

Randy Bias, Cloud Strategist
+1 (415) 939-8507 [m], randyb at neotactics.com