[occi-wg] Opinion Poll: IaaS or PaaS ?

André Brinkmann brinkman at upb.de
Fri Jul 3 10:01:07 CDT 2009

Hello Andy,

Am 03.07.2009 um 16:52 schrieb Edmonds, AndrewX:

> Regarding:
> "I do not want to split hairs, but I am interested (from a customer
> perspective) to be able to deploy arbitrary OS-images inside my
> virtual machine, so the OS is not part of the service offered by the
> Iaas-provider."
>
> The OS selection may have dependencies on the IaaS owing to hardware
> architectures it supports (i386, x86_64, PPC, MIPS etc) so it may
> not be possible to run arbitrary OS that assume a particular
> h.architecture. Currently the only sure way to guarantee arbitrary
> OS deployment could be the provisioning of instruction set emulation
> within a hypervisor. Other than that as a simpler solution, the IaaS
> provider would have to state what hardware architectures it could
> support (though would limit arbitrary OS deployment).

again true. What I wanted to say is that I want to be able to deploy
arbitrary OS-images inside my virtual machine as long as there are no
physical constraint hindering this deployment and  that I do not want
to have to take an OS-image from my IaaS-Provider, which might limit
my configuration freedom and my choice to switch between different
IaaS-providers.

Best Regards,

André