[occi-wg] Opinion Poll: IaaS or PaaS ?

Edmonds, AndrewX andrewx.edmonds at intel.com
Fri Jul 3 09:52:35 CDT 2009

Regarding:
"I do not want to split hairs, but I am interested (from a customer perspective) to be able to deploy arbitrary OS-images inside my virtual machine, so the OS is not part of the service offered by the Iaas-provider."

The OS selection may have dependencies on the IaaS owing to hardware architectures it supports (i386, x86_64, PPC, MIPS etc) so it may not be possible to run arbitrary OS that assume a particular h.architecture. Currently the only sure way to guarantee arbitrary OS deployment could be the provisioning of instruction set emulation within a hypervisor. Other than that as a simpler solution, the IaaS provider would have to state what hardware architectures it could support (though would limit arbitrary OS deployment).

.2c

Andy