[occi-wg] Opinion Poll: IaaS or PaaS ?

André Brinkmann brinkman at upb.de
Fri Jul 3 09:35:27 CDT 2009

Hello Randy,

thank you for the explanations. Nevertheless, there are still some
open issues (at least from my side);

Am 30.06.2009 um 19:59 schrieb Randy Bias:

> On Jun 14, 2009, at 11:10 AM, André Brinkmann wrote:
>> sorry for interfering with your discussion, but I am only reading
>> your Email list since a week. From my perspective, IaaS (and OCCI)
>> only deals with an execution platform for (a collection of) virtual
>> images. The operating system itself and the "virtual" hardware
>> (Virtual MAC, ...) is part of the virtual image and therefore does
>> not belong to an IaaS environment.
>
> Actually, I think this is provably untrue.  The virtual hardware
> will almost certainly belong to the infrastructure and not the VM
> itself.  For example, right now GoGrid provides 3 NICs, but Amazon
> provides 1.  Both are Xen-based platforms.  Other systems provide
> arbitrary numbers of NICs.  Since the virtual hardware is supplied
> by the underlying hypervisor layer and it's configuration the
> virtual hardware is part of the IaaS platform.

Your point is (in this case unfortunately) correct. I think that this
is a drawback of current IaaS providers. In principle, the restriction
to a limited number of NICs leads to vendor lock-in, e.g. it might
become difficult to port applications from GoGrid back to Amazon.

> In addition, most of the hypervisors request you to use Ethernet
> MACs that have Vendor IDs relevant to the hypervisor under which
> they are used.  For example, VMware uses 00:0c:29 for dynamically
> assigned MACs.  This leaves only 16M possible Ethernet MACs across
> all VMware installations.  The risk of collision when moving a
> VMware VM from one cloud to another is very high.  Because of this
> vendors will almost certainly provide (and hardcode for security
> reasons) the MAC addresses for servers.
>
> In other words, the virtual hardware and the virtual MAC are tied to
> the IaaS platform and not the VM.

Correct and it also makes sense, as the MAC address in a conventional
system is also part of a physical machine and therefor part of the
infrastructure.

> One can certainly argue whether the OS is the bottom layer of PaaS
> or the top layer of IaaS, but there is absolutely no doubt that it's
> the primary interface between the two.
>
> I would argue that the traditional notion of OS as a platform comes
> from the idea that the OS provides a set of runtimes (libraries,
> resources, and facilities) upon which you can 'load-your-code-and-go'.
>
> So, if platforms are 'load-your-code-and-go' systems, then an OS
> itself is not a platform.  By default not every OS is ready to have
> code loaded and ready to go after a fresh install.  Most require
> some significant configuration.
>
> So if we want to split hairs, an 'OS' is probably the top layer of
> an IaaS platform and a 'configured OS' is probably the bottom layer
> of a PaaS.

I do not want to split hairs, but I am interested (from a customer
perspective) to be able to deploy arbitrary OS-images inside my
virtual machine, so the OS is not part of the service offered by the
Iaas-provider.

> BUT, if we dig deeper and look at runtimes that don't sit on a
> specific OS (JVM, Mono, CLR, etc.) then one has to assume that while
> the run times are typically attached to an OS, they don't have to be.
>
>> Nevertheless, services like VPNs, DNS, and DHCP are services, which
>> are typically provided by the infrastructure outside of the virtual
>> machines and I would be happy if you would include a description of
>> these services inside OCCI.
>

> I wrote this up fairly extensively here:
>
> Defining Infrastructure Clouds | Cloudscaling

Thank you for your comments

André