[occi-wg] Resource Types: Compute / Network / Storage

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Sun Apr 19 14:54:05 CDT 2009

Simon,

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Simon Wardley
<simon.wardley at canonical.com>wrote:

> I'd strongly advise you to drop the client / server aspect and in
> particular remove the sub-tags such as components / services.
>
> Don't assume that an application won't be used as a component in a mash
> up or used as a service to build another application etc. Also platforms
> (i.e. GAE) have user interfaces ... you're going to get into all sorts
> of confusion.
>
> Keep it really simple - Application / Platform  / Infrastructure.

Unfortunately by doing so your taxonomy no longer functions as a taxonomy -
important components are left unclassified (or worse, inappropriately
classified), including client operating systems (like Android, gOS/Cloud),
hardware (netbooks, nettops) and next-gen browsers (chrome) as well as
underlying hardware like cisco's unified [fabric] computing gear. "no junk"
doesn't imply "no complexity" and here I think we've got just enough. FYI
the process of generating the last stack involved classifying everything
cloud-related I could find afterwards and I'll do the same now when I find a
spare moment.

The observation that an application can feed another is exactly the thing
that wrecked my head with the service
layer<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing#Service>- and a
large part of the reason it was dropped. Trying to represent that an
application can also serve as part of a platform results in both junk and
confusion.

I'm hoping that by covering everything concisely as we have here the result
won't be rejected as "too simplistic". If however it makes sense to boil it
down further for your particular application then go right ahead.

Sam